Sunday, February 5, 2012

Choose Your Own Adventure: Food and Art

For my “Choose Your Own Adventure” piece, I decided to take a slightly different path than the normal one up to this point; rather than talk about an article or a food phenomenon, I decided to post a link to a video that I first saw several months ago.  I was at my friend’s house over the summer when we stumbled across this video, and we watched all three of the installments, Eat, Learn, and Move.  The thing that really strikes me about this particular video, Eat, is the way in which it uses such simple concept, food, as a topic for such an impressive artistic showcase.  Not only does all of the food in this video look appetizing, but the creativity and novelty of the concept behind the video adds something new and special to it.  Seeing this video got me thinking about food’s role in art.  Painting bowls of fruit is one of the most stereotypical still-life arrangements, and as seen here, food can truly add life to documentaries and other forms of new-media art. 

What is it about food that lends itself so well to art?  Is it the vibrant colors and shapes?  Or is it simply its universality that makes any work of art that much more relevant to the viewer?  As art continues to evolve and reshape itself, how will the role of food change, if at all?

Here is the video, entitled Eat

1 comment:

  1. This looks like it could lead to a really great discussion and I'm glad you are exploring territory that we haven't really gotten into yet. I love how creative and innovative chefs as well as the regular joe's are becoming with food and I can't wait to see what discussion you will bring to the class on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete