Sunday, March 4, 2012

My Perfect Meal [Rough Draft]

I have a confession to make:  I’ve been looking forward to this assignment for almost the entire quarter.  Since I first heard that I would get to cook something, I’ve been mulling over ideas in my head about what exactly the “perfect meal” would be to me.  I toyed around with the thought of cooking many different dishes, trying to decide exactly what was feasible with my limited resources and small cooking space.  I took ideas from many different places and people, and my menu ended up being a little eclectic.  As I look back at my meal, I can’t help but see it as a sort of metaphor for my identity.  Each of my five dishes-- two entrees, two side dishes, and one dessert-- had its own unique meaning for me, and the resulting meal somehow came together in perfect harmony.

The main entree of my dinner, and the first dish that I decided on making, was a soup called Spider Soup.  Contained in the beef-stock broth are no creepy crawlies, but rather beef cubes, pasta, and a wide variety of vegetables.  Spider Soup has a strong history to it; it was the first dish that I ever cooked by myself.  When I was in 7th grade, we did a class activity in my Home Ec class which resulted in the creation of a recipe for Spider Soup.  I, of course, promptly ran home and asked my mom to let me make it.  This meal was only the second time that I’ve made Spider Soup, and all of the familiar smells and flavors made me feel like I was 12 years old, cooking soup for my family under the watchful eye of my mother.  Spider Soup represents personal history, the idea that all of our past experiences contribute to who we are.

The next dish I prepared was Banitsa, a Bulgarian egg and cheese pie that my Grandma Zonka used to make.  My grandma died when I was about three, so I don’t have very many memories of her, but the stories that my family tells about her are more than enough to supplement these missing memories.  I’ve heard stories about her ingenuity (she could fix anything from scissors to televisions, and helped build my dad’s childhood home from the ground up), her strength (she and my grandpa were prisoners in an Austrian work camp during World War II before they could escape to America with their two young daughters), and of course, her cooking.  She was a wonderful cook, but Banitsa is one of only a handful of her recipes that we left.  I had to call my aunt for this recipe, and she gave me the “shortcut” version-- instead of rolling out my own dough from scratch, she advised me to just buy a box of fillo dough from the supermarket.  Banitsa is a layered pastry, and there is an elaborate song-and-dance when it comes to making it.  As I layered the fillo dough, cheese, eggs, and butter, I thought about my Grandma Zonka.  I thought about how many times she must have made this dish, rolling the dough from scratch with a wooden dowel (because she didn’t have a rolling pin).  I thought about how and why she came to the conclusion that the second layer gets two sheets of fillo dough and is sprinkled with butter, while the fifth layer has only one sheet of dough and cheese but no butter.  The Banitsa represents family history, my yearning to remember where I came from and what my family went through in their struggle to assimilate to American culture, and how thankful I am that our family recipes and traditions survived this assimilation.

The two side dishes, a Caesar salad and some whole-wheat rolls, have much less personal significance.  The decision to make these things was partially arbitrary, in an effort to have a well-rounded meal, and partially influenced by my friends.  Two of the friends that I invited were vegetarians and I knew that because of this, Spider Soup wasn’t going to be a big hit with them.  I settled on these choices for side dishes so that my vegetarian friends would feel welcome and leave feeling full.  Knowing your audience in this way is always important, whether it is in cooking, writing, or even just interacting with friends.

For dessert, I made homemade chocolate chip cookie dough and pretzel ice cream.  The ideas for this dessert came from two different friends of mine.  Growing up, one of my best friends, Katie, introduced me to eating pretzels and cookie dough together.  It is without a doubt one of the most delicious things I’ve ever tasted, a perfect culmination of salty and sweet, creamy and crunchy.  So, I’d originally planned on just making cookie dough and serving it with pretzels for a dessert.  The decision to make it into an ice cream treat was a spur of the moment one.  I was talking with a close friend at K, Laurel, and she mentioned that she had an ice cream maker that she was eager to use.  And so, just like that, my dessert morphed into a batch of homemade ice cream with cookie dough and pretzel mix-ins.  This dessert represents the way in which my friends have influenced who I am, and how important friendship is to me.

Finally, the individual ingredients that I used in this meal have meaning for me as well.  I did my very best, when shopping for my ingredients, to buy as many organic and unprocessed foods as I could.  The Spider Soup was made of entirely organic vegetables (with the exception of the onion and the canned peas).  The cookie dough and the ice cream were made with organic half-and-half, whipping cream, and eggs.  The cottage cheese in the Banitsa was from a Michigan farm.  After ten weeks of this class, eating local, organic, and unprocessed foods has never seemed more important to me.  The kind of ingredients that I chose represents my ideals and my personal opinions about food.

Once all of the cooking was said and done, I sat back and dined with eight of my friends.  All of my hard work definitely paid off, and I was glad to see that my friends were enjoying the food as much as I was.  Watching so many of my friends come together and share this meal with me was a wonderful experience; we talked, chewed, and laughed together, and though I can’t speak for anyone else, I definitely left the table with a full and happy belly.

Caesar Salad

Banitsa

Spider Soup

Whole Wheat Rolls

The Perfect Meal

Cookie Dough Pretzel Ice Cream

10 comments:

  1. The pictures of the food were so good; everything looks like it was delicious. I think that it was cool how you related each dish to something in your past. I can't wait to discuss it in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great opening to this piece! I loved they way you structured it, going into detail about why you chose each dish and describing how you prepared it. Your dessert is so creative, I can't wait to hear how it turned out when we talk about this in class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how do you put into context all your dishes. Each one has a different story and that made me want to continue reading. I will rather eliminate the brackets and include these sentences as part of your narration. However, it was a really interesting piece and your writting was fluid. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed hearing about why exactly you chose to make the foods that you did. It provided a lot of insight into you as a person as well as your meal. The descriptions of the food were also really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Food and identity are inextricable and I love how forthright you are about this in this piece and your intentionality in creating this meal. Very nicely done. But why is the soup called "Spider Soup"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job relating each dish to a part of who you are and it gives readers a great sense of why this was your perfect meal. I am wondering a little about the tastes of each food, did you encounter any difficulties while cooking or did everything turn out just how you wanted it to?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This meal is incredible eclectic, but I love that, and how each thing is a little collection from a part of your life. It was so real to read because most of the time, the tame, good looking proper foods are never the most delicious, and your meal is so real and fun... cookie dough is the BEST! It's cool to see how much the class impacted your purchasing :) I love this piece, and I love getting to know your food life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The section with your grandmother was especially telling, and I enjoyed how it became its own segment of the piece. I was clear why you chose organic food,however--other than "just 'cuz." I am not sure if you need the taste/ meal in there, since the thought processes and the creation of your identity through making the meal seemed more important. Just thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved how explained your connection to each dish you prepared and what hit meant to you, That was effective in showing why you had chosen the dishes you did for your perfect meal. I enjoyed reading it even though its a rough draft :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The way in which you connected the dish to its significance in your life really brought this piece to life and made it clearly evident why this was the perfect meal. I thought that the descriptions were well-detailed in addition. Nice job, Kira!

    ReplyDelete